Galina Hristova was born in Gabrovo, Bulgaria in 1989, currently based in London, UK, working across Bulgaria and the UK.
She completed her MFA Fine Art at Wimbledon College of Arts, UAL, London, UK in 2020. Galina’s professional art education started at the age of 13 at the High School of Fine Arts ‘Tzanko Lavrenov’ / Plovdiv, Bulgaria/, where she specialised etching, followed by BA at the Academy of Music Dance and Fine Arts /Plovdiv, Bulgaria/ and MA Set and Costume design at the National Academy of Arts /Sofia, Bulgaria/.
Galina works multidisciplinary with main focus on Painting and Performance Art, investigating a subject matter centred around Psychological dualistic manifestations of the personality. Her rich and extensive background in Fine arts, theatre, film, dance, music, and writing, shapes the vibrant use of different mediums, settings, and visual language in her practice.
Interest in the Jungean theories about the Collective unconscious, archetypes, shadows, and the process of individuation, weaved with thorough observation and analysis on different individuals, who exhibit specific, often similar behavioural patterns, provokes Galina to explore the inner conflicts between instinct and rationality, and creates fictional environments , with hint of theatricality - framed through a delicate approach, where the female portrait prevails in her paintings as an allegory of the human dualistic nature, and simultaneously, notions of tension, isolation, vulnerability, disguise, exposure, and endurance are expressed in her performance work.
During her developing Art practice, Galina has curated and co-curated collective exhibitions, assisted in the organisation of various Art projects and events, organised workshops and presentations.
Between 2008 and 2018, she was a Member of Union of Plovdiv Artists and Union of the Artists, Gabrovo, Bulgaria.
During 2008 she was granted the Annual award of Gabrovo Municipality and the City Art Gallery, and participated in two International residencies– Bojentzi, Bulgaria and Nowy Sącz, Poland.
Galina has six solo exhibitions in Bulgaria, a number of collective exhibitions in Bulgaria, Poland, Germany, and the United Kingdom.
Most significant exhibitions:
Most recent projects
- Distanced Domestic – Lower Clapton, July 2021 /London, UK/
- Emergent Vision – Copeland Road, October 2020 /London, UK/
- Horniman Late ‘Climate Crisis: Speculative Futures’ – Horniman Museum and Gardens, March 2020 /London, UK/
- Splinter selves - The Factory Dalston, March 2020 /London, UK
-Ten Degrees Plus – Sprout Arts, February 2020 /London, UK/
- Emergency – Platform Southwark, Dec 2019 /London, UK/
-The Crypt Gallery, Nov 2019 /London, UK/
- Hollow Chambers – The Crypt Gallery, 2019 /London, UK/
-‘PASSION, SIN, TIME’ /Gallery Bulgaria, Sofia 2016/ and
-Between two worlds /Plovdiv Cultural Institute, 2016/
- Way of the youth /Cultural Centre ‘White house’, Old town, 2017 and 2019/
- Art Galleries Assembly, 2nd edition /National Palace of Culture, 2016/
- Bienalle ‘Friends of the Sea’ /Burgas, Bulgaria, 2016/
-Temptation /City Art Gallery, Gladston 72, Plovdiv, Bulgaria, 2016/
- Ritual /City Art Gallery, Gladston 72, Plovdiv, Bulgaria, 2015/